Monday, January 25, 2010

Kindergarten Drama

It took me a long time to decide which school I wanted to send Micah to for Kindergarten next year. Unlike some other cities/towns, we can choose any school - which, in some ways, is nice but in other ways, is not. It makes for a very difficult decision.

I knew we couldn't base our decision on the area we're living in because the chances are very slim of us staying in one place for too long. So, I had to base my decision on which school I could stick with for the long haul, and which school I would be willing to drive to even if we were living on the opposite end of town. So, in the end we chose a school where more and more of our friends are taking their kids. We've heard nothing but good things about it and I felt confident in our choice. It's a smaller, tight-knit "country-type" school that felt different from a lot of the other city schools and more like the school where I grew up. The principle is from our church as are many of the students. And once we decided that this was the place to send Micah (and the rest of our kids eventually) I became more and more excited.

I registered Micah on Monday, running around town to make sure I got all of his paperwork in so that he would be sure to get a spot. Then 2 days AFTER Kindergarten registration they decided to drop the bomb that the school might be closing! So, now we wait until the end of March to see if the school (Dunach Elementary) can have a strong enough rebuttal to keep itself open.

In the meantime I was able to register at our catchment school (Mountain Elementary) which is a great second option. The only problem is that it's not in a location that I'm willing to drive to if we suddenly end up living on the other side of town. But I'm glad we have a back-up plan at least.

For now I'm praying and holding out hope that Dunach can stay open!


The Keowns said...

i stressed about school for the longest time.
When I finally decided, we moved close to it and now I can't imagine them going anywhere else.
It is SO important to love the school, to trust the staff and the teachers. They will be spending so much time with your kids that is important that your comfortable with them. I am so thankful everyday to know my children are in a safe, loving, christ centered envoironment. That they pray, recite scripture, sing bible songs and to see the teachers care for them on an individual level.
Hopefully there school won't close! Is it private? Although private costs us an bundle, the benifits defiantly outway the costs for us.

rachel joy said...

gah! What a mess. Hoping you all get to stick with your school of choice. I've seen news stories about this kind of thing before but never paid much attention. Now that my kid is at a school I love, I totally get it!

Jen Glen said...

There has to be a balance somewhere between Abby and Sask! As for your school, I don't know if this make you feel better or not, but the reason they probably waited until after Kindergarten registration to announce their possible closure is b/c often times the numbers of the Kindergarten class are a good indication of what the numbers will be years to come. It could be that they're thinking Micah's class isn't going to be big enough to help sustain the school in years to come.

Megan said...

I wouldn't stress about it too much. Even if Dunoch is closed there are many good Elementary school here in Abbotsford. Tenbrook, Dormick Park, Centennial and Sandyhill to name a few. I can understand the frustration finally making a decision and then finding out it may not happen. Good luck!