Friday, December 07, 2012

Easy Christmas Baking 101

Christmas baking has been low on my priority this year, but the other day I had the urge to whip up something simple.  If you've spent any time on Pinterest, you've certainly seen various versions of these little treats.  They just looked so easy that I had to give them a whirl.  


First I gathered my 3 ingredients...  waffle pretzels from Superstore, "Hugs", and M&Ms (the mint kind since I already them).


Silas had the tedious job of unwrapping all those hugs and placing them on the pretzels.


Ready to go into the oven...
(Bake at 350 degrees.  3 minutes wasn't long enough, 5 minutes was a little too melty.  So next time I'll do 4 :)


Once the hugs have softened, remove from the oven and place an M&M on each one.  I did this while they were still on the pan.  Then I recommend letting them fully cool off before trying to take them off the pan.  This took awhile (maybe because I let them get too melty in the oven).  Next time I might put the whole pan in the freezer to speed up the chocolate hardening process.



















Super simple and quite festive looking.  I started imagining other variations - like a mini peanut butter cup with a Reese's Pieces candy on top... Mmmm.

I'm thinking a handful of these in a cellophane bag might be a great addition to this year's teacher gifts.

7 comments:

Dan and Lynn said...

What a great idea!! Those look delicious (and simple)!

Anonymous said...

I did these last year, but with regular pretzels. These loo easier. I also did some with pecans, instead of m &m,s. I should do some again.

Anonymous said...

That was me...Granny

rachel joy said...

I did these last year with a rolo and a pecan on top. Delish! (Don't get the mini Rolos - you'll have to use 2 per pretzel!)

Trev and Rebekah said...

Super cute and easy. Now I just wonder how I can make something like that with the ingredients out here.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the idea Jamie! We have the Thailand MB Foundation Christmas party this coming Friday and Ricky wants some Christmas treats for after dinner. This is very doable and gives me the excuse to only have my oven on in the scorching heat, for 4 minutes :) Perfection!!

Anonymous said...

I just did them. They look great!!!
Mom