Monday, October 03, 2011

The Fine Art of Dawdling

I'm trying to figure out how to make the school mornings less chaotic at our house. It doesn't matter how early we all wake up, it seems to take the e-n-t-i-r-e time to eat breakfast, get dressed and get out the door. There are 100 excuses in the book to keep these kids distracted from just doing what I'm asking them to do...

Micah is still having a tough time with school. Some mornings seem to go OK while others are filled with whining, excuses, tummy aches and teacher-peeling-him-off-of-my-body kind of good-byes at his classroom. Today was one of those mornings and I drove home feeling frustrated and discouraged.

Yet, every afternoon when I pick them up, Micah is in good spirits and eager to share about his day. So, I'm learning not to let the morning frustrations get to me. Instead I'm trying to enjoy my 6 hours with just ONE child.

And he's a handsome one.

I needed an updated photo of Silas for his child dedication coming up at the end of the month, so we headed out to the "backyard" for a few poses. I had a "he's-really-growing-up!" moment as I snapped some pictures.





One of my favourite thrift store finds ever has got to be this blazer/sport jacket combo. Thankfully Silas loves wearing it too :)


(And, come to think of it, these Gap jeans and Converse shoes were also from the thrift store!)


What are you doing on the ground Mommy?



With all the school drama I've nearly forgotten my next big challenge:
Potty-training this little elf...


I've learned a few things about dawdling myself.
In grown-up words, we call it procrastination.

I'll start potty-training...

eventually.

7 comments:

kelly ens said...

CUTE pics of Silas :)
our kids dawdle like crazy too. and i might be a bit of a procrastinator myself... ;)

GSFALK said...

SO cute!!
Dawdling kids... hate to say it, but, it could go on for a few years. At Sara and Tim's school there were consequences for arriving late. That helped!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jamie, he is so cute. Miss you Silas. Glad you are enjoying your tiem with him.

Anonymous said...

That was from me-mom

laura.h said...

Oh I LOVE these pictures, he is soooo handsome! What a little ham.
Miss you guys.

Lindsay said...

that last picture?!? SO cute. What a little monkey :)

Mel said...

So last year was Brookie's first year in school. And she seriously cried and whined almost EVERY SINGLE day for the whole year. It was heart-wrenching for me, and many days I wondered if we should just pull her out and quit. HOWEVER....this year, Brookie is doing AMAZINGLY well! She never cries anymore, and loves going to school. My advice??? Hang in there, mommy. I know it's hard to hear him crying - breaks your heart! But he WILL be okay. And it WON'T last forever. As mom's, we have to believe it will make them "stronger" in the long-run. Keep pluggin'....