Monday, November 19, 2012

Embrace It

I've been waiting for inspiration to strike for a new blog post, but I think I've got blogger's block.  That... and a lack of time.  Or energy.  Or both.

This is the crazy time of year for me - there's the typical Christmas-around-the-corner busyness happening... which is full, yet manageable - but when you add the planning of 2 birthday parties (for a soon-to-be 6-year-old and soon-to-be 8-year-old), it just adds to the chaos.  (And did I mention that we're still not done renovating our bathroom...?)


My mantra this year is to keep things simple.  I don't know if I'm succeeding.  But I'm trying.  There are some things at this time of year that just have to be (i.e. Keziah's ballet Christmas concert marathon {a whole day event}).  But then there's the other things, like thoughtful teacher gifts, sending fancy cupcakes with the kids for their classmates on their birthdays, creating an elaborate homemade advent calendar for the kids...  You get the idea.  It's got to be the one draw-back of spending time on Pinterest - the assumption that everyone else has all the time in the world to bake, sew, craft, create and be...
well...
Super Mom-ish.


So, it's healthy for me to recognize that I just won't be able to do everything exactly the way I would like to (and just because everyone and their dog pins an idea to Pinterest, it doesn't mean they're actually going to do it... can I hear an amen?).


Erik and I like to remind each other to embrace imperfection...

I have to admit, it's a pretty refreshing idea.

7 comments:

Elissa said...

Amen sista!!

EJ said...

I hardly ever do anything I pin ;) Someday perhaps but right now laundry is more important than crafting.Maybe if I had a nanny - then I'd have time!!

Lisa Lu said...

Aaaaaaamen!!

kelly ens said...

AMEN!

i've never been on pinterest...i know i'd never be able to do anything :)

here's to embracing simplicity :)

Laura said...

amen and hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

Just think of relaxing on Christmas Day at our house!
Mom

Trev and Rebekah said...

Amen! I don't even have pinterest! I find it overwhelming here at times to think about all the things I have to made from scratch or how to make a recipe work when I don't have ingredients I am familiar with let alone all the fun and crafty things. I was feeling guilty today for not really doing much crafts with my son (he loves crafts) and today he went off on his own and played with his LEGO pieces. Each color represented different aspects of making pizza and he had fun creating. And I didn't have to do anything