
It took me a long time to decide which school I wanted to send Micah to for Kindergarten next year. Unlike some other cities/towns, we can choose any school - which, in some ways, is nice but in other ways, is not. It makes for a very difficult decision.
I knew we couldn't base our decision on the area we're living in because the chances are very slim of us staying in one place for too long. So, I had to base my decision on which school I could stick with for the long haul, and which school I would be willing to drive to even if we were living on the opposite end of town. So, in the end we chose a school where more and more of our friends are taking their kids. We've heard nothing but good things about it and I felt confident in our choice. It's a smaller, tight-knit "country-type" school that felt different from a lot of the other city schools and more like the school where I grew up. The principle is from our church as are many of the students. And once we decided that this was the place to send Micah (and the rest of our kids eventually) I became more and more excited.
I registered Micah on Monday, running around town to make sure I got all of his paperwork in so that he would be sure to get a spot. Then 2 days AFTER Kindergarten registration they decided to drop the bomb that the school might be closing! So, now we wait until the end of March to see if the school (Dunach Elementary) can have a strong enough rebuttal to keep itself open.
In the meantime I was able to register at our catchment school (Mountain Elementary) which is a great second option. The only problem is that it's not in a location that I'm willing to drive to if we suddenly end up living on the other side of town. But I'm glad we have a back-up plan at least.
For now I'm praying and holding out hope that Dunach can stay open!





