Monday, April 23, 2012

New Calves & Other Fun

I'm sorry if you're sick of reading about cows.  I know I would be if I were you.  If I'm being honest here, I have to admit I've taken more pictures of cattle in the last few weeks than I have of my own children.
It's a bit of a problem.

But with that said, I have to post a few more.  We have two new calves since I last posted and now our little herd is complete.  The second two came with very little fanfare - they just kind of popped up overnight.

Calf #1 (Russell) & Calf #2 with their Mamas. Both are males.


Cousin Caleb named Calf #2 "Willy".  Russell and Willy spent some time getting acquainted last week.


Then yesterday morning we woke up to find Calf #3 - a female.  We're thinking of naming her "Buttercup", though this morning Keziah was also considering the name "Mikayla":)


When we're not watching our new baby calves we're busy playing on our yard.  Erik is amazing at going out with the kids almost every day (even after a long day of work) and playing with them - giving me a chance to clean up dinner and just have a few moments of peace!  Some days they play hockey on the street, other days it's crazy daddy-games on the trampoline, but the current favourite has been baseball.  The kids impressed me with their batting skills on Friday night.


Keziah has fun doing sports with the boys, but she can often be found discovering and nurturing creatures that she finds on the yard - snails, caterpillars and ladybugs.

Not to mention the cats, of course.



And even though we have a lot of space on our new yard, we don't really have much for playground equipment.  The other days the kids found a patch of sand on the edge of the driveway and dubbed it "The Sandbox".  I'm thinking with a handy husband like Erik we could probably build something a little bit more legit...




As for me, I'm really enjoying the first spring on our new farm - watching everything coming to life and feeling the warm sunshine after some long rainy months.


6 comments:

GSFALK said...

For those of us who grew up on the farm, but left it to follow other calls, it is SO heart-warming to watch all of you enjoy the farm. We are enjoying it with you!

kelly ens said...

Not sick of the cows/calves. they're so cute!!! :)

Trev and Rebekah said...

your kids are resourceful!

Tara V said...

totally not sick of hearing about the cows and their babies. We should have a play group at your house!!

rachel joy said...

I love hearing about your life on the farm, bovines and all! Though I'm a little worried about your kids falling in love with the babies - what happens when they grow up and get shipped "elsewhere"? :) Looks like you're all settling into life there just fine!

Beyond the Mega Pixel said...

Helllo mate great blog post