We had a bit of a scary night on Monday. Keziah had developed a barking-type cough during the day and at around midnight I woke up to the sound of her coughing and trying to cry out. When I went in she was burning with a fever and struggling to breathe through the coughing. She finally threw up which seemed to help a bit, but she was so listless and her cry was so pitiful. Erik wasn't feeling totally well himself, but he quickly packed up her up and took her into emerg. I stayed at home and tried to sleep - which wasn't happening. Not only was I worried about Keziah, but I was feeling some contractions and praying that I wouldn't go into labour! At the hospital they took Keziah in right away when they discovered that her fever was in the danger zone. It turns out that she had croup so they had to give her a steroid shot as well as a steroid nebulizer mask. They couldn't convince her to take any tylenol orally so they had to give her a suppository. Erik said she cried and cried throughout the whole ordeal, with her most common phrase being, "I wanna go in my van!!" After it was all over they gave her stickers and a purple popsicle and I think she finally cheered up. She still isn't totally herself but the cough seems to be under control.
With everyone around me being so sick - including Erik - I have been caught between wanting this baby OUT and wanting to wait until we're all healthy and well-rested before entering the ordeal of labour. There's something reassuring about knowing that baby Toews is nicely incubated from all these outside germs!
I went to see my doctor again this morning and discovered that I've made a tiny bit of progress. I'm now 1-2 cm dilated, 30% effaced and baby has dropped to -3 station. It's nothing too significant but at least all that "false" labour over the weekend wasn't in vain :) I had another membrane sweep so we'll see what happens. We talked about induction and I feel reassured to have an end in sight. As much as I've resisted induction, there's something nice about the thought of entering the labour experience after a full night's sleep!
This morning I woke up with a sore throat and some sinus congestion but I'm hoping to fight off this cold before the baby comes! At least I'm hoping it won't escalate to the fevers that Erik has been dealing with. So, I will keep you all posted...