Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wii have been busy

I realize it's been a long break between posts. I guess it's a true indication of how busy we've been lately. Neither Erik or I do very well with a lot of busy-ness (especially in our evenings), so we're looking forward to a much quieter week.

In the last couple of weeks Erik and I were involved with leading worship for a group called ACTION who are heading out on summer missions. I also volunteered to help watch the babies in the nursery at VBS at the last minute - mostly because it would give my own kids the opportunity to be a part of VBS as well. I'm glad I did it, but it was a long full week and at the end of it the laundry and dishes and dirty bathrooms were piling up!

The kids did really well at VBS. I put Micah and Keziah together in the preschool class. They were long mornings and Keziah became increasingly unwilling to go to her class - so the last couple of days she went back and forth a little bit between her class and the nursery which was fine with both her teacher and me. Micah, on the other hand, was very nervous before his first day, but was a pro by the end of the week. It was interesting, though, to watch their little program for the parents on Friday. They had all the kids go up on the stage to sing and I could see pure fear in Micah's eyes. If he would've seen me I'm sure he would've come running to me, bawling, but I was way in the back. Part of me felt anxious for him, but mostly it was reassuring to observe him and see how he was able to cope with a stressful situation!

This year the kids got free (LARGE!) t-shirts:


Grandpa and Grandma took the big kids to the parade on Canada Day which was a nice break for me! Micah was pretty disappointed not to be able to go to the fireworks this year, but we had had a few really late nights (and cranky over-tired kids) so we made the executive decision to go to bed early.


While we were visiting my parents, Micah discovered Wii Sports and loved it. So, you can imagine his joy when Uncle Keith and Auntie Kristi offered to lend us their Wii for the summer while they're in Manitoba. I've had to monitor its use (and use it as leverage to get Micah to go to bed!) since he is addicted.

Despite the fact that the Wii is designed to get people to be a bit more active, most people who've played it long enough have discovered that you can still do pretty good when you're lounging on the couch :) Micah, on the other hand, probably gets double or triple the excerise while playing since he jumps. All the time. He appears to do it involuntarily and out of pure excitement. He proved to me in this video that he doesn't even realize that he's doing it:



Even his VBS teacher commented to me about how much he jumps!

Silas is 3 and a half months old already and is growing SO fast! We had a rough week of naps last week because of VBS so it feels good to get back on track this week. His schedule is slowly turning into a 3.5 - 4 hour schedule as he's awake for longer periods which is kind of nice. He's starting to spend time in the bumbo seat, though he still gets a bit slouchy after awhile :)


I also strap him into the highchair and wheel him around the house so he can watch me work in the kitchen or see the kids play in the living room.


Silas giggled for the first time while we were in Manitoba and we're hearing it more and more all the time. Erik got some good laughs out of him yesterday so I'll end this post with some wonderful baby giggles:

5 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

Isaiah and I loved the videos. Silas seems like such a great baby and happy too!

The highchair looks great.

kelly ens said...

great pictures and video. Silas' giggle is so adorable! I think he is looking and sounding more like Micah.

KDees said...

Silas is so happy! And, such a cutie! :)

Wenona said...

I love giggling babies - you can never get enough of that sound!
And your kids are all so cute decked out in Canada Day stuff! Hope you are relaxing and enjoying your summer!

The Keowns said...

wii is a great babysitter. Liam makes 'miis' for hours.