Monday, April 12, 2010

Paska: Better Late Than Never


I had really wanted to bake paska (aka "Easter bread") before Easter and then I just didn't get around to it. I kind of felt like I lost my chance after the Easter weekend passed, but then I thought, Hey, I can make paska whenever I want!

So I did.

I've never made bread or buns of any kind before (other than in the bread maker, but I don't think that really counts). It's always seemed a little too intimidating. So, I half-expected it to turn out weird or wrong or burnt or something. But, it actually turned out beautiful and delicious and perfect!


I used a paska recipe that my friend Rachel posted on Facebook last week from the blog "Mennonite Girls Can Cook". The Paska Post opens with the statement: "There is no other recipe that has found me more friends than this one."

So, from the get-go it promised to be a gooder.

And it definitely was.


Yummy :)

6 comments:

KDees said...

Definitely better late than never. I LOVE paska too - nothing beats it! I love being Mennonite! :)

vic and Anne Toews said...

way to go Jamie- you NEVER know what you can DO until you try, right ? The paska looks wonderfully soft too. Grma T.

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I too was feeling like I lost my chance to make it since Easter is over but you just inspired me to do it now. Thanks!

Bonnie said...

I feel inspired. I, also, have never made any type of bread or buns or anything requiring yeast. It has always intimidated me. Especially when Jon has good Mennonite-baking/cooking sisters. I feel so out of my league. But after reading this, I think I could probably manage it.

Maybe I'll even try... who knows :)

rachel joy said...

it was my first attempt too and I don't think I'll wait till Easter next year to try it again! I want to be an expert at it by then so I better start practicing. :) Yours looks super yummy. I wish I had taken a picture of mine.

Kathy's corner said...

WOW!! jamie, I am so proud of you. I didn't even make any(I haven't for years)Way to go!!!. It looks wonderful. Love mom (Are you saving any in the freezer for me when I come??)