Thursday, November 18, 2010

An Unexpected Gift

Amazing how BIG the small things can be. During a week filled with worry and discouragement and unknowns, we had an unexpected blessing in our house today. It started this afternoon when I glanced out the window and was surprised to see snow falling. I called the kids quickly because I knew this would be a huge deal for them - the poor souls who, last year, went through an entire winter without snow (other than one brief morning, I think).

As they stared at the big flakes with wide eyes, Micah exclaimed to me that he had been praying for snow. In fact, he said, he had prayed just this morning that it would snow. I told him how much God loved him to give him such a special gift today. I felt a bit choked up at the thought of God loving my little boy so much to answer this prayer.

We immediately headed outside to enjoy the brief snowfall:




After I took this video, Erik was outside with Micah and they were talking more about God's answered prayer. Erik asked Micah if he believed that God loved him and whether he would like Jesus to live in his heart. We've asked Micah about this before (never wanting to co-erce him into the decision) and he never wanted to do it before. This was the first time that he eagerly agreed. He ran in the house and told me that this was what he was going to do! So, we all prayed together right then and there. And then we had hot chocolate -- very important!

I think one of my favourite parts was when he left an unscripted message on Grandma's voice mail this afternoon exclaiming that he had asked Jesus into his heart because God had given him a "wonderful gift"! My prayer is that he will grow to fully understand the even greater gift that God has given him in the life of Jesus.

Thank you God for the unexpected.

8 comments:

rachel joy said...

*tears* ... so special!

Trev and Rebekah said...

When I saw this on facebook I too thought it was neat to bring some light and joy into your day today. What a gift and something he will remember. I told Isaiah that Micah asked Jesus into his heart just like he did. He thought that was pretty neat. We love you guys.

KDees said...

Totally teared up too! AMAZING post!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

PTL! So exciting. What a wonderful unexpected event!

Mel said...

Amazing and beautiful story. Make sure to write this down! For my kids I have it written down in the dayplanner each year, so I can remind them on their "spiritual birthday". It's been neat to remember together they day they asked Je.s.u.s. into their hearts! Excited for you guys.

vic and Anne Toews said...

Hi We don't "blog" very often, but want to share in yours and Micahs excitement. We are so thankful for the way our family has been able to follow and love "Jesus"- children, grandchildren and now Great grandchildren.Thank You Lord. Grpa/Grma T.
p.s Grpa says he was 9 when he asked Jesus into his heart.

kelly ens said...

SO beautiful!!!!

Bonnie said...

Such a wonderful gift. Such wonderful timing!