Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Proud Mama

Micah's drum skills are continuing to improve. Erik has spent some time with him in recent weeks, teaching him the names of all the drums and cymbals and some basic rythms. He LOVES it. I was so proud the other day so I took another quick video to share with you all...



I also have to brag about my husband's hockey wounds - ha ha. A few months ago he got slashed in the chin by a hockey stick in his ice hockey league (click here if you need to jog your memory) and then he called me Monday night to say he was on his way to emerg because of a slash to the face during his roller hockey game. He was mostly worried about his right eye since it took some of the impact and was really blurry afterwards, but it turned out to be OK. And three stitches seemed to be enough to seal up the wound on his nose :)



Now for an update on the kids...

Micah is growing up before our eyes. Erik and I have noticed in the last week or two how much less he is whining and how much more he is using his words - asking politely for things and not always complaining when we say no. He's definitely not perfect yet :) BUT, the change from even a month ago is pretty dramatic. That's something to be proud of.
Another reason to be proud is that he is turning into such a great eater! He has been so brave to try new things - even broccoli :) This is amazing since there was a time when I was always preparing 2 meals - one for Erik & I, and something "safer" for Micah.


Bedtime battles with Micah aren't over yet and Erik and I have tried so many different tactics already. Right now we are sitting with him until he falls asleep and every couple of nights we move the chair a little further away from his bed. Last night Erik was situated right outside his room where Micah could still kind of see him. It seems to be working so far and the last few nights he's been sleeping by 7:45 (mind you, he's sometimes up before 6, but that's another issue!) I hope we can get to a place where we can just put him down and let that be the end of it!

Keziah is growing too. I can't believe she will be EIGHT months old on Sunday!! Wowsers. She is the main challenge of my day. She is happy when she is being held or if someone is right in her face giving her ALL their attention, but if she can no longer see people she makes herself known. She's a little drama queen already! I'm trying to look at the positive side - that she'll be a real people person as she grows up. So, we'll see. I find there are several moments in the day when I just have to let her fuss in the exersaucer or the highchair or on the floor just because I can't cater to her every whim. I'm a little anxious for her to become more mobile so she entertain herself a bit more, but from the looks of things, that'll be awhile.


Thankfully Keziah is doing much better with drinking her bottle. I've stopped trying to force extra ounces into her between feedings and thus she has a full 4-hour break between bottles and tends to drink much better. Erik told me she drank over 8 ounces for him this morning! What a little porker :)
I'm pretty sure I can feel the tiniest little prick of a tooth coming through her gums - though Erik can't confirm it for me since his fingers are too calloused to feel such things...

And speaking of teeth - I FINALLY went to the dentist yesterday after 2 years (bad, I know, but what can you do when you don't have extended benefits??) I thought for sure my mouth would be full of rotting teeth but there was only ONE measly cavity. That definitely made my day!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!! only one measly cavity!!! so great congrats on this one....
i know how it feels.....
greets
leslie

-Me- said...

Those two kiddos are so adorable, Keziah is growing up so quickly, wow!!!! Glad to hear things are getting a bit easier with Micah!

kelly ens said...

ok, that video is AMAZING. wow, Micah!!
EIGHT months. wow, time is flying!!!
Great to hear the progress Micah is making..he really is growing up! :)

Michelle said...

Ok so how embarassing is it that a toddler can drum waaaay better than probably 90% of adults!! Haha! He is really doing awesome! Keziah is looking more like her big brother the older she gets! My girls were always more high maintence until they got mobile too..time will come!!! And I stay away from the dentist even if we have coverage...blah!!!

Laura said...

wow - that is an amazingly talented little boy! just goes to show that we are born with God-given abilities hey? my second was like Keziah at that age, people couldn't understand why I was so anxious for her to crawl, but it made her waaaay happier...until she wanted to walk! enjoyed the post!

Amber said...

GOOD JOB MICAH!! Wow Jamie...that guy has talent!!!!! It will be exciting to see how he can use his musical abilities & good rhythm for the Lord :)

Trev and Rebekah said...

I'm impressed with his druming. He's a Toews. :0)
I hear you about babies needing all the attention in the world. Sometimes I feel like I accomplish nothing in my day because all of it is spent with Isaiah. Ofcourse his smiles make it all worth it.

Stacey said...

My son, Rowan, has to get his daily fix of drums too! (He just turned 2 today.) We don't own our own drums though, so he has to go to my parents house. I'm sure if we had a drum set he would be sitting there all day! Everything is turned into drumsticks... nails, qtips, pens, sticks, even 'nothing' becomes his imaginary drumsticks!

Wenona said...

Wow, he is amazing!! That is seriously better than I could ever do! haha!
Keziah is growing up so quick, I can't believe how big she is already.
Hope you have a great weekend.

jupo said...

i love your camping pictures. ahhhhh! don't you just LOVE summer? jamie, your kids are adorable. i especially love the pictures of them taking their bathes in the basin.

Evonne said...

jamie
you kids are like the cutest kids ever.Its mazing how much keziah has grown up and micah too your a good mom and i bet there so blessed to have you as a mom keep up the good work.

dee said...

I have to say that I am very impressed by Micah's drumming skills! Your kids are adorable!

Renee Shaw said...

I know this is a while after being posted, but I just read it. I have the same yellow shirt for Isabella! So Cute!