Friday, August 04, 2006

Plan B

Yesterday was officially day 2 of potty-training and by mid-afternoon I was ready to throw in the towel. I started on Wednesday - very gung-ho and with a plan in mind. As a side note, Micah's been using cloth diapers part-time since he was 1 month old and somewhere I heard a rumour that cloth-diapered kids tend to potty-train faster (since they can feel the "wetness" more). The problem is that Micah has never cared about being wet. His diaper can be sopping and he'd still be happy as a clam. Anyway, my plan was to put Micah in a cloth diaper, but without the extra absorbent liner or plastic cover, so we'd both be able to tell right away if he was wet.
I set him on the potty very consistently but with no success. We'd hang out in the bathroom for slots of 20 minutes or even longer - reading books, singing songs, naming body parts - until I was sure his bladder must be exploding. But inevitably he'd want to get off and within 5 minutes he would have wet his diaper. The only sign of progress was the handful of times he ran to me clutching his diaper declaring "wet!" Most of the time he didn't even notice.
However, I kept my spirits up and hoped we'd at least have some luck with going #2. On the morning of day 2, Micah was overdue for a "movement" :) and generally early in the day is a prime time for him. I planned to watch him like a hawk and not miss the opportunity to get him to the potty on time. I was relaying my plan of action to Erik while we made breakfast when suddenly Erik commented that Micah was awfully quiet in the next room. The smell was our second clue and the full diaper confirmed it. I guess all of our potty-talk must have put him in the mood or something. Once again, we were too late.
So, after a fruitless (& exhausting) effort, I've decided to scrap the potty-training for the time being. Or, at least back off and let Micah lead the way a little more. I just don't get the impression that he really understands or is interested - and I don't want to push him.
So, onto Plan B: moving Micah into a big-boy bed. Luckily we recently inherited Rosanna's old twin bed when her and Nathan got married, so we'll skip right over the toddler-bed phase. My concerns are a) how do you get a toddler to stay in a bed with no prison rails and b) how do you keep him from falling out of bed in his sleep? Micah tends to cram his body into the corner of his crib to fall asleep and I'm not sure how he's going to cope with all the open space... For safety's sake, we'll start with just a single mattress on the floor and go from there. I'm thinking we might try to set it up for him this weekend sometime.
I'm learning patience through all of this for sure, and when I stop to consider my urge to rush, I can tell myself that it's highly unlikely that Micah will still be a diaper-wearing, soother-clad, crib sleeper 2 or 3 years from now. He'll figure this stuff out eventually. Unfortunately by that time we'll be working on training the next one...
Hmmm, how many kids did I say I wanted??

6 comments:

kelly ens said...

The mattress on the floor is a great idea - i had friends who did that until their little guy realized he had to stay on it since nothing would keep him on it, and if he did fall off, it was only a couple of inches down.
As for the potty training...a friend of mine started her son a few months before he was three - right when she brought her newborn daughter home. That was way too much for her, so she waited until her daughter was a few months old - it was far more manageable to have him older (3, by then), and not to have SUCh a new born in the house. Hope it goes well for you when you pick it up again!

The Keowns said...

we never used a toddler bed. waist of money I think. We just put them in a regular twin bed and since they were bunk beds, we put the top bunk rails on. But again, you can buy a satety rail that you can just attach on one side. We found the transition to a big boy bed super easy, both kids were about 15 months, rather early but there was always new baby on the way. As for potty training, we kept his little potty in the living room and Aidan would sit on it for hours in front of the tv. we also let them run around nude. but we also have hardwood floors which makes for easy cleanup. also don't use pullups. they suck cause they don't feel they are wet. I put them straight into gitchys/painties and the feeling of pee streaming down there legs tought them awfully fast how disgusting it is. only used pull ups at night. also, Micah is not even 2 years old so I wouldn't push him to much, he is still very young. i have yet to hear of someone successfully training there boy before they were 2 so if it doesnt happen, don't worry about it.

The Keowns said...

also....#2 took a little longer with Aidan. He was scared for some reason and used to hide in the corner to do the deed. I think Nichole said once too the Kailyn didn't want to becuase it made her potty dirty.

Nichole said...

Hang in there!! Potty training is hard work and so frustrating! But you'll get there. It may not be now, but it will happen!! By the way, you look beautiful pregnant!! Love the pictures!!

Janelle said...

haha - that's why i'm sticking to 2 kids!!!
Kamryn's going to be trying out a twin bed in the next 2 months...but she does the same thing as Micah & so i'm a little nervous as well...
plus she climbs everything - so will she climb over the rails? oh well..i guess they have to learn right?
i love that someone else is going through the same things i am & asking all the tough questions for me!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »